2021-2022 Artist Residency Information
Artist Accelerator Program
ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY: The Artist Accelerator Program offers up to 5* in-person residencies available at The Arts Center. We are seeking enthusiastic emerging artists seeking community in the following media:
- Low/Mid-Fire Ceramics
- Other media including Writing, Art photography, Collage, Dance, and installation arts.
We encourage a diverse selection of artists to apply, including artists from historically excluded communities including (but not limited to): artists from rural communities, emerging artists, artists from communities of color, LGBTQ+, artists who are self-taught, and artists new to creating artwork. We welcome artists regardless of citizenship status, color, familial status, gender identity or expression, religious observance, sex, sexual orientation, and sources or level of income.
This residence program offers a supportive environment, with shared studio space, and premium lectures in startup business, marketing, selling online, and other skills critical to becoming a successful, professional artist. In addition to studio space, the residency also includes:
- 1:1 Professional Coaching
- Group Critiques & Discussions
- Educational Lectures on Relevant Professional Practices
- A Collaborative Exhibition at Corvallis’ oldest professional gallery space
(A Residency Artist Exhibit is scheduled for February – March, 2022)
- ~300-400 sq. ft. studio space with up to 1 other artist*
- 24/7 access studio access
- Water, electricity, heat, restrooms, internet
- Easels, tables, some tools & supplies (Ceramic artists will purchase their own glazes, with additional fee for firing projects. (Δ06 – Δ5/6))
- NOTE: Locations are in a basement with stairway access only.
WHAT IT REQUIRES:
Cost for each resident is $800, with partial scholarships available.
Residencies begin November 3, 2021 and run through February 11, 2022.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for one of these competitive residencies:
- Complete the application >> (See questions Below)
- Send 3-5 GREAT images of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Great images are professional quality, well-lit, 300 dpi, and large format (usually 3-10 mb). If submitting video(s), please consider well-edited and 1920x1080px. Preferred file types are PDF, mp4, jpg, and png. You must include “AAP Residency 2020 YOUR NAME” as the subject.
- For access accommodations to support your application process, please contact Artist Accelerator Program Director, Claire Elam, email@example.com, (Mon., Tues., Wed. 10 am – 5 pm).
Accepted artists will be notified by October 28, 2020. (A residency agreement and liability waiver is required upon acceptance.)
* Sharing studio space is dependent on COVID-19 & CDC recommendations. There are 3 studios available for use with a maximum of 2 people per studio. All possible accommodations will be made to ensure safety of residents. Vaccinations are highly recommended and may be required for artists working in The Arts Center’s building. In most cases, medical exceptions can be accommodated with other precautions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions or concerns.
- Describe your background (education, cultural connections, life experiences, etc.) and how it relates to your art with regards to subject matter, style, media, and technique.
- Who are some of your outside influences? Who inspires you? Why? This can be other artists or creatives, public figures, personal relationships, etc.
- Describe your artistic, making, or creative practices. How do you make your work, how long does a piece take to make?
- Describe your preferred making environment. Are you messy or do you prefer being neat? Etc.
- Why do you think you’d be a good fit for this program?
- What do you hope to gain professionally from this program?
- In which of the following areas of your arts business do you need the most help in?
- Self Promotion/Selling
- Website building
- Submitting to galleries
- Business 101
- How important is an artist community to you? (1 being less important, you tend to prefer working independently, 5 being extremely important, you prefer to share ideas with others)
- Can you see yourself sharing a space with another unknown artist? With regards to COVID, space usage and cleaning specifics will be determined by The Arts Center upon input with all residents.
- Would your participation depend on one of our $400 scholarships?
- Share your estimated gross income if you are applying for a scholarship.
- OPTIONAL: Please provide any additional information about financial circumstances you are currently experiencing that will assist the scholarship committee.
- How did you hear about us?
- Search Engine
- Word of Mouth
- Arts Center Employee or Volunteer
- Print Media