February 26 – April 18, 2019
Annual Jim and Ruth Howland Community OPEN exhibition is happening!
It is our most popular exhibits and for good reason. Everyone is invited to participate.
The Howland Community OPEN Exhibition invites ALL people living in Linn or Benton Counties to show their art. The exhibit reflects the joy of art-making and the engagement of our community with the visual arts. Art making is a valuable means of expression for beginners and seasoned professional artists alike.
Calling all …
- The Arts Center members (who receive an early delivery perk!)
- Those who will become a member
- Art makers just starting out
- Accomplished artisans & artists
- Toddlers, youth, teens and young adults
- Adults who are just “playing around”
- Professional artists
Calendar: February/March/ April 2019:
- Feb 23 – Bring in artwork, 12 noon – 4 PM ONLY
- March 14 – Brown Bag Art Talk, 12 noon
- Feb 21, March 21, April 18 – CAW (Art Walk) 4:00 – 8:00 PM
- March 21 – Reception/CAW/AWARDS, 5:30 – 7:30, (Award announcements approx. 6 PM)
- April 19, 20 – Pick up Artwork, 12 – 5 PM Friday, Saturday
- April 22 – Gallery Wall Painting — make sure your piece is safely gone!
Here is how it works:
- Artwork delivery for general public on Saturday February 23, 2019, between 12 noon and 4 pm, ONLY.
- You CAN have another person deliver your artwork during this time.
- For Members ONLY: Artwork is accepted Tuesday–Saturday, Feb 19 – 23, 2019, between 12 noon and 4 pm.
- We accept one (1) original piece per person/artist.
- NEW size limitation: height and width, including frame, piece can be up to 65 inches.
- Size limitation for 3D work: up to 25” across, up to 5 feet tall IF balanced well.
- Weight restrictions: ± 20 lbs.
- Staff can decline a piece if it is deemed not safe.
- Completed Inventory Form and ID Tag must accompany each submission.
The Arts Center staff and designated volunteers hang the artwork until the walls are full, and make all placement decisions. Thanks to Exhibition Committee members for doing a great job installing an “instant exhibition.”
Thanks to Exhibition Sponsonship support from Citizen’s Bank.
New: Curator’s Trophy for a Small but Mighty Work, anything roughly one foot (12 inches) all dimensions, or SMALLER!
Thanks to Ruth and Jim Howland for establishing the Howland Fund within The Arts Center’s Endowment Fund to support the Community OPEN Show Awards.
VOTING for the People’s Choice Award
- Visitors may cast up to 3 votes with small post-its supplied by The Arts Center front desk
- Voting can be for different pieces or all for one piece — however you wish to vote
- Votes accepted from February 26 – March 20 (HOURS: Tuesday–Friday, 12 – 5 PM.
- There is no voting on the day of the Reception, Thursday, March 21
To Frame or not to Frame, that’s the Question!
- Framing is not required, but it is strongly suggested to give attention to presentation and how it will be hung. Please matt or mount your work with a hanging wire or self-sticking hanger on the back side. We accept alternative ways of hanging of unframed artwork, but it should still be ready to install with some means of hanging.
The Arts Center does not accept responsibility for damage to artwork not picked up by Saturday April 20, 5 PM.
Artwork not picked up by Saturday April 27 will be considered a donation to The Arts Center.