February 7 – March 30 | Jim and Ruth Howland Community OPEN
- February 4, 2017, 12 noon-4 pm DROP OFF DAY
- February 16 – Artist Reception and CAW, 4-8 pm
- (Awards and Announcements around 6 pm)
- April 1 – Pick-up Artwork
Come see it all, AND vote for the People’s Choice Award.
The annual Howland Community OPEN exhibition is back!
It is our most popular exhibits and for good reason. Everyone is invited to participate. The Howland Community OPEN Exhibition invites ALL people living in Linn or Benton Counties to show their art. The exhibit reflects the joy of artmaking and the engagement of our community with the arts. Art making is a valuable means of expression for beginners and seasoned professional artists alike.
Calling all …
- The Arts Center members
- And those who are not yet
- Art makers just starting out
- Accomplished artisans
- Toddlers, youth, teens and young adults
- adults who are just “playing around”
- Professional artists
Here is how it works:
- Artwork is accepted on Saturday February 4, 2017, between 12 noon and 4 pm, only. To be as fair as possible we do NOT accept any early or late submissions. (You CAN have another person deliver your artwork for you on the intake day.)
- We accept 1 (one) original piece per person/artist.
- Size restriction 2D: height and width together of a framed piece can be up to 72”.
- Size restrictions for 3D: up to 30” across, up to 5 feet tall IF balanced well.
- Weight restrictions for all: 20 lbs.
- Set-up crew can decline a piece if it is deemed unsafe.
- Paperwork must accompany each submission (inventory form, identification tag for the back are available on line. The tag for next to your needs to be filled in at The Arts Center).
The Arts Center staff and designated volunteers hang the artwork until the walls are full. They make all placement decisions. Exhibition Committee members do a great job installing an“instant exhibition.”
To Frame or not to Frame, that’s the Question!
Framing is not required, but it is strongly suggested to give attention to presentation and how it will be hung. Please matt or mount your work with a hanging wire or self-sticking hanger on the back side. We accept alternative ways of hanging unframed artwork, but it should be selected to be in character with the artwork.
VOTING for the Peoples Choice Award
- Visitors can cast up to 3 votes with small post-its supplied by The Arts Center front desk
- Voting can be for different pieces or all for one piece — however you wish to vote
- Votes accepted from February 7 – 15, Tuesday – Friday, 12 noon – 5 PM.
- There is no voting on the day of the Reception/CAW, Thursday, February 16
Calendar of Important Dates:
- Show dates February 7 – March 30
- Drop-off Day: February 4, 12 noon – 4 PM ONLY
- Reception and CAW: Feb 16 reception, 4:00 – 8:00 PM (Awards around 6 pm)
- PICK UP Artwork: March 31, April 1 Friday and Saturday, 12 noon – 5:00 PM
Artwork not picked up by Wednesday April 8 will be considered a donation to The Arts Center. The Arts Center does not accept responsibility for damage to artwork not picked up by April 1.