Call to Artists and Makers
Deadline: August 7, 2021
Mapping Memories, is a featured Art’s Alive! 2021 Virtual Event curated by Justin Lodge for The Arts Center
Arts Alive! 2021 is August 13 & 14, 2021
Description: Artists are invited to submit artworks to “Mapping Memories” as a way to explore and share your creative processes. Mapping is designing a visual representation of events that happened in particular time and/or space. Memories are complex and fluid. Mapping is a chance to document them and observe their complexities. Visually laying out your emotional responses to past events and the locations where they occurred might allow for connections that have not been made before. Artists are encouraged to make new work that includes many different visual aspects of a memory rather than a single image. The work can be a literal map or something more abstract. High-quality images of two & three dimensional work in any medium are accepted.
Venue: Chosen submissions will be accessible for viewing through the Arts Alive! Website: https://artsalive.festivee.com/
This exhibit is produced and juried by Justin Lodge outside of The Arts Center and Arts Alive. (The Arts Center keeps the privilege to not post work that is derogatory to any person or group)
- Digital Image: The work can be a digital image of a 2D or 3D work. Please make your image as clear as possible. Small 2D work can be scanned. Photographs of larger 2D work and 3D work must be well lit and high dpi. Please crop out backgrounds that are not part of the art. The organizer retains the right to crop or alter the image for the best result. The higher the resolution and larger the size, the better.
Artwork Info to Include:
- Your name
- Title of artwork
- Media and/or technique used (for example: Acrylic on Canvas, or Rocks, Wood, and Fabric)
- Optional: A statement of explanation included with your artwork is encouraged but not required. Please keep this to 100 words or less.
- Only artwork that addresses this specific call for work will be accepted. The organizers retain the right to only show work that appears to have been created specifically for this exhibition.
- We encourage a diverse selection of artists to apply, including artists from traditionally or currently underserved communities including (but not limited to): artists from rural communities, emerging artists, artists from communities of color, LGBTQ+, and artists who are self-taught.
- We welcome artists regardless of citizenship status, color, familial status, gender identity or expression, religious observance, sex, sexual orientation, and sources or level of income.
Submitting the Work: Email your digital image along with artwork info to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm on August 7, 2021.
About Justin Lodge: Justin is an artist living in the Willamette Valley, and was an Artist in Residence at The Arts Center in 2018 & 2019. His projects aim to inspire people to explore their inner world through visual art, using artistic practices to make connections that have not been made before. In 2020, Justin produced the “Enshrine” virtual gallery for Arts Alive. His project for this year’s Arts Alive, “Mapping Memory,” is a call to make visual representations of events that happened in the past. This project challenges artists to combine multiple images to map complex and fluid memories.
About The Arts Center: Our mission is to inspire creativity and contribute to community well-being through equitable access to and engagement with the visual arts. Because the Visual Arts are a valuable non-verbal communication tool for connecting people, we seek to share a diversity of creative voices through themes and concepts relevant to the communities we serve.
|Dates to Remember|
|August 7, 2021||Deadline for Submissions|
|August 13 & 14, 2021||Mapping Memories premieres online|
Stay Connected! Get Updates!