What: Howland Community OPEN Exhibition @ The Arts Center
When: February 18 – April 9, 2020 Exhibition dates
Drop Off Day for General Public: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 12 noon – 4 pm ONLY
Current Arts Center Members Drop-off Week: Tuesday– Saturday, Feb 11 – 15, 12 – 4 pm ONLY
The Howland Community OPEN Exhibition invites ALL people living in Linn and Benton County to share their creativity. The exhibit reflects the joy of art-making and the engagement of our community with the visual arts. Art making is a valuable means of expression for beginners and seasoned professional artists alike.
Calling all …
• Current Members of The Art Center (with early, extended drop off perk!)
• Those who will become members
• Art makers just starting out
• Accomplished artisans & artists
• Toddlers, youth, teens, and young adults
• Adults who are just “playing around”
• Professional artists
Calendar: February/March/April 2020:
Feb 11-15 Drop off for Current Members of The Art Center 12 PM-4 PM ONLY
Feb 15 Drop-off Day for Everyone: 12 noon – 4 PM ONLY
February 18 – April 9, 2020 ~ Exhibition dates
February 18 – March 11, Tuesday – Friday, 12:00 PM – 5 PM ~ Vote for your favorite works
Feb 27 Lunch Box Art Talk at 12 PM
Feb 20, Mar 19 CAW (Corvallis Arts Walk) 4:00 – 8:00 PM
Mar 12 Artist Reception, 5:30 – 7:30, awards announced ~ 6 PM
Apr 10, 11 Friday & Saturday: pick up artwork 12 PM – 5 PM ONLY
Apr 13 Monday: Gallery Painting Day — make sure your piece is safely gone!
Apr 20 Pieces not picked up are graciously accepted as a donation for the Pre-Owned Art Sale in August.
For Currently Members ONLY: One piece of Artwork is accepted on Tuesday– Saturday, Feb 11 – 15, 2020, between 12 PM and 4 PM, ONLY. The exhibition guidelines still apply.
Not A Current Member? (Joining us is easy!)
Here is how it works:
• Deliver one (1) artwork per person on Saturday, February 15, 2020, between 12 PM – 4 PM, ONLY. We canNOT accept any early or late submissions.
• You CAN have another person deliver your artwork for you on the intake day.
• Paints, lacquers, etc. need to be dry.
• 65” Size limitation = height + width together, including frames
• Size limitation for 3D work: up to 25” across, up to 5 feet tall IF balanced well.
• Weight restrictions: ± 20 lbs.
• Staff can decline a piece if it is deemed not safe or content inappropriate.
• Paperwork must accompany each submission (Inventory Form for the back are available online. The color-coded tag for your artwork needs to be filled in at The Arts Center).
Installation: The Arts Center staff, Exhibition Committee members and designated volunteers hang the artwork until the walls are full, and make all placement decisions while installing this “instant exhibition.”
• SURPRISE AWARD: after the exhibit is installed the Exhibition Committee will add an impromptu award category.
• Art supply awards for youth age groups are provided through Jim and Ruth Howland Fund of The Arts Center’s Endowment Fund. (Anyone may make a donation to this Fund to support Howland Community OPEN exhibits).
• Curator’s Choice: the recipient will receive the glory of getting acknowledgment.
• The People’s Choice Award winner’s artwork will be featured on the exhibition card for the following year.
VOTING for the People’s Choice Award
• Visitors can cast up to 3 votes with small post-its supplied by The Arts Center front desk.
• Voting can be for different pieces or all for one piece — however, you wish to vote.
• Votes accepted from February 18 – March 11, Tuesday – Friday, 12 noon – 5 PM.
• There is no voting on the day of the Reception, Thursday, March 12
To Frame or Not to Frame, that is the Question!
• Framing is not required, but it is strongly suggested to give attention to presentation and how your work will be hung. Please matt or mount your work with a hanging wire or self-sticking hanger on the backside. We accept alternative ways of hanging unframed artwork, but it should still be ready to install with some means of hanging.
The Arts Center does not accept responsibility for damage to artwork not picked up by Saturday, April 11, at 5 PM. Artwork not picked up by Saturday, April 20 will be considered a donation to The Arts Center.