“Catching the Waters Abstraction”
2017 People’s Choice Award
Howland Community OPEN Exhibition
February 6 – March 14, 2018 | Exhibition Dates
DROP OFF DAY
- GENERAL PUBLIC: Saturday, February 3, 2018, 12 – 4 pm ONLY
- CURRENT MEMBERS of The Arts Center: Saturday, January 27, 2018 and
Tuesday, January 30 – Friday, February 2, 12 – 5 pm
Time again for the annual Howland Community OPEN exhibition! Our most popular exhibits for good reason. Everyone is invited to participate.
The Howland Community OPEN Exhibition invites everyone living in Linn or Benton Counties to show their art. The exhibit reflects the joy of artmaking and the engagement of our community with the arts. Art making is a valuable means of expression for beginners and seasoned professional artists alike.
Calling all …
- The Arts Center members (with new experimental early delivery perk!)
- And those who will become members just for this reason!
- Art makers just starting out
- Toddlers, youth, teens and young adults
- Adults who are just “playing around”
- Professional artists and artisans
This is how it works:
- Artwork from the general public will be accepted on Saturday, February 3, 2017, between 12 noon and 4 pm, ONLY. We do NOT accept any early or late submissions from non TAC members.
- New and Experimental: For members ONLY: If you are a current member, or become a new Member of The Arts Center, artwork is accepted on Saturday January 27, and Tuesday January 30 – Friday Feb 2, 2018, between 12 – 5 pm as well as Saturday February 3, 2017, between 12 noon and 4 pm.
- We do NOT accept any other earlier or late submissions.
- You CAN have another person deliver your artwork for you on the intake day.
- We accept 1 (one) original piece per person/artist.
- Size limitation: height and width together of a framed piece can be up to 72”.
- Size limitation for 3D work: up to 30” across, up to 5 feet tall IF well balanced.
- Weight restrictions: 20 lbs.
- Staff can decline a piece if it is deemed not safe.
- Paperwork must accompany each submission. The paperwork includes an inventory form you will need to complete and an identification tag you will need to attach to the back of the work.
- Link here to download the paperwork you need to print, fill out and bring in with your work. Please note and follow the directions on the paperwork to help make this busy day easier for all. Thanks!
The Arts Center staff and designated volunteers hang the artwork until the walls are full. They make all placement decisions. Exhibition Committee members do a great job installing an “instant exhibition.”
Awards will be provided through the Howland Fund (The Arts Center Endowment), Pegasus Framing & Gallery and Cyrano’s Bookbinding & Art Supply.
To Frame or not to Frame, that’s the Question!
Framing is not required, but it is strongly suggested to give attention to presentation and how it will be hung. Please matt or mount your work with a hanging wire or self-sticking hanger on the back side. We accept alternative ways of hanging of unframed artwork, but it should still be ready to install with some means of hanging.
VOTING for the People’s Choice Award
- Visitors can cast up to 3 votes with small post-its supplied by The Arts Center front desk
- Voting can be for different pieces or all for one piece — however you wish to vote
- Votes accepted from February 6 – 21, Tuesday – Friday, 12 noon – 5 PM.
- NEW: On the CAW, Feb 15 4 – 8 PM the curators will talk about their personal choices. Opportunity to talk about art and place your votes.
- No voting on the day of the Reception, Thursday, February 22
Calendar: February/March 2017:
|Sunday Feb. 3||General Public: Bring in artwork, 12 noon – 4 pm ONLY|
|Feb 6 – March 14||Exhibition dates|
|Feb 8||Brown Bag Art Talk, 12 noon|
|Feb 15||February 15 CAW (Corvallis Art Walk)
4:00 – 8:00 PM Curator and Exhibition Committee will talk about their personal choices
|Feb 22||Reception, 5:30 – 7:30, award announcements at approximately 6 PM|
|March 15||Deconstruction of an art exhibit, pick up artwork 5–8 PM; CAW 4:00–8:00 PM|
The Arts Center does not accept responsibility for damage to artwork not picked up by Thursday, March 15, 8 PM.
Artwork not picked up by Saturday March 24 will be considered a donation to The Arts Center.