Call to Artists — “I Came From Far Away, But I Am Here Now”
Deadline April 29, 2018; online submissions only
Exhibition July 18 – August 31, 2018
Ours is a nation of immigrants. Whereas immigration was once a founding and uniting element, it has become a subject of discord, so it’s crucial that we continue the conversation. The Arts Center aims to do this in a positive way by asking immigrants to express their own experience through visual art. Thus, the Exhibition Committee seeks proposals for an exhibit by immigrants for July and August 2018 in the Main Gallery.
The Arts Center seeks artwork made by people born outside the United States who came here for any reason, from any place of origin, and from any cultural background. All immigrant artists living or working in the Pacific Northwest are eligible to submit artwork. All media are eligible, including small-scale installations.
The exhibit aims to show what it means for people to leave their country and enter an unknown land. Such a move can be a colossal change, and the reasons behind it color the perceptions of the new surroundings. Did you experience loss, culture shock, or loneliness? Or, rather, exuberance to inhabit a more free and open society? Was it some of each? What elements drew you to the United States – a better education, love, or the desire to escape poverty or war? What or who did you leave behind? Was it long ago, or recent? Was the move irreversible? All these considerations come into play.
The Arts Center, a community organization, fosters creativity and engagement with the arts among people of Corvallis as well as the region. Such engagement encourages personal growth and well-being on an individual and societal level. Art is a universal language, and we welcome and value the open dialogue and creative connections that occur in our public programs. We believe an exhibit about immigration fits our mission well.
Artists are responsible for all shipping or delivery.
- This Call to Artists is open to immigrant artists living or working in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Northern California.)
- Immigrants can have come here recently or long ago.
- All media will be considered.
- Work previously exhibited at The Arts Center cannot be accepted.
- The final exhibited work must be the same as proposed in this call to artists.
- Artwork to be shown will be the same submitted for jury; we will not accept substitutions and may reject work that was altered. Artwork must be available for the duration of the exhibit.
- Artists are responsible for delivery/transportation to and from The Arts Center.
- Pieces must be ready to hang or install. In some case artists may be asked to assist with installation, but generally The Arts Center is responsible for installation.
- The artwork can, but does not have to be for sale, The Arts Center shares a 50% commission with the artists.
- Insurance will be provided during the exhibition, covering the artist’s commission.
- The Arts Center creates a postcard, hosts an reception, where artists are asked to be present.
- The curator will invite up to 5 artists to participate in Brown Bag Art Talk-panel.
- The Arts Center assumes to have permission for reproduction on our website www.theartscenter.net, general publicity in newspapers, magazines, etc. and for promotional purposes.
Link for images, floorplans and size measurements of the gallery. 1200 sq feet, with 150’ of linear wall space.
Calendar Call to Artists for “I Came from Far Away, but I am Here Now” July 11 – August 24, 2018
|April 29, 2018||Deadline, midnight online|
|May 18, 2018||Notifications sent electronically|
|June 23||Images of work, artist statements, resume or bio due, 9 AM|
|July 7||Last day of delivery to The Arts Center, noon – 5 PM|
|July 9,10||Installation by The Arts Center Exhibition Committee|
|July 18 – August 31||2018 Exhibition dates|
|July 19, Aug 16||Corvallis Art Walk, 4 – 8 PM|
|July 19||The Arts Center’s reception 5:30 – 8 PM|
|August 25||Pick up artwork, Saturday noon – 5 PM|
For more information contact Hester Coucke, The Arts Center Curator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-754-1551, ext. 658.