The Arts Center is commissioning new work to celebrate our 5th Annual Arts Alive! event. The Arts Center invites artists working in installation art to submit proposals for a temporary installation on the historic building’s front entrance and stairs of The Arts Center, with a theme of Embracing Brave. (More information and a photograph of the building can be found in the application below.) Artists are encouraged to consider upcycled materials as design and artistic practice permits.
***Artists with questions are encouraged to review the information session prior to applying. Upon review, if you have further questions, please contact Claire Elam at firstname.lastname@example.org necesita alguna adaptación para completar esta solicitud, comuníquese con Claire Elam en email@example.com***
About Embracing Brave
Following two years of creative pivots and organization-wide transformation, we are deeply inspired by the brave people who found so many ways to sustain the arts through this time. In this spirit, we are excited to share Embracing Brave as The Arts Center’s theme for program activities in 2022. Embracing Brave is about overcoming obstacles, taking first steps, finding new passions, building persistence, and celebrating milestones. To accept, and enthusiastically welcome, the mental or moral strength to face danger, fear, difficulty, or the unknown.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The application is open to all Oregon-based visual artists or artist groups. Artists must have an interest in transforming a front building entrance into a site-based, temporary art installation. The work must incorporate or amplify the front entrance of our Carpenter Gothic building, be relevant to the theme, be of solid construction, and allow for safe access through both front doors. Attachments to the building are limited to reversible to the “original state, without traces, on the exterior walls”. Additional safety and historical preservation of the building may apply, depending on the proposed needs of the installation. Please inquire if you have further questions.
Artists with experience working in media that constitute installations/integrated environments will be given preference in the selection process. Applications will be evaluated based on experience, relevance, feasibility, and the degree to which the proposal matches the theme and the event’s parameters. We encourage a diverse selection of artists to participate, including those from historically excluded communities including (but not limited to): artists from rural communities, artists from communities of color, LGBTQIA+, and those who are self-taught. We welcome artists regardless of citizenship status, familial status, race, gender identity or expression, religious observance, sex, sexual orientation, and sources or level of income.
- Please fill out the following form and send 3-5 high-quality work samples with the Subject line: Arts Alive! Installation Application (YOUR NAME) Please include your name in the file names (example: painting1_ClaireElam.jpg) Preferred Image Dimensions and Criteria are 300 dpi and a minimum of 600 x 600 pixels.
- Where/to whom to submit: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you require any accommodation to complete this application, please get in touch with Claire Elam at email@example.com. Si necesita alguna adaptación para completar esta solicitud, comuníquese con Claire Elam en firstname.lastname@example.org
The Arts Center will provide an honorarium of $400 and up to $350 in materials to the selected artist. The artist will also receive up to 3 tickets for the Artist Reception on August 12, 2022.
About Arts Alive!
Arts Alive! serves regional audiences of Linn and Benton Counties by coordinating innovative, thought-provoking art projects that support artists by providing opportunities to share their work with the public. Our 2022 Arts Alive! will include opportunities for visual artists, musicians, installation artists, teaching artists for adults, teaching artists for children, and open mic performances. For more information on these opportunities, please visit theartscenter.net
Deadline and Exhibition Dates
- June 3, 2022: Deadline for proposals
- Mid-June 2022 AAP Council and Program Director Application Review
- June 15, 2022: Final Artist Selection Notified
- August 10 – 12 (TBD, based on proposal): Art Installation Day(s)
- August 12, 2022: Installation Fully Installed by 2pm
- August 12, 2022 Artist Alive! 5th Anniversary Celebration and Artist Reception
- August 13, 2022
- August 14/15, 2022 Deinstall